Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Joy of the Body

I echo Jackie's thoughts on how bright and fun the kids are this semester. They really grew up over the summer. It was so much fun to see their happy smiling faces, and how eager they were to be at school! It just makes teaching them so much fun!! A little funny thing that happened on our first intro day was after we had just finished singing "5 little ducklings". I think the song is funny because the ducks listen to their daddy immediately. So, after it ended I asked the kids if they always listen to their daddy. Ethan said, "I listen to my mommy and my daddy." Then I asked Mark if he did the same and he said, "Yes." Then I asked Elise if she listened to her mommy and daddy, and very seriously she shook her head and said, "No." I just about died laughing.

This week we started the joy of the body. Ches was so excited when we picked up the "body books" from the library, and couldn't wait until his friends came and he could show them the books. They were a big hit. There were a couple points during the morning that all they wanted to do was sit and read the books. Well, Elise didn't think that was the greatest idea after awhile, but every time she went to get a toy the boys would say, "No toys, Elise, just books!"

We had a lot of fun with all of the songs, activities, looking at x-rays (thank you Dave Harper) and talking about our bones and bodies. The kids were so cute during snack time. I made them body and heart shaped oatmeal cookies, and while they were eating they kept commenting on how they were eating it and the food went down into their bodies, and hands and muscles to make them big and strong. We also did an activity where I would show the kids a letter and they made that shape with their bodies. They did a great job individually, and caught on pretty quick when we started doing group ones on the floor; especially after I would show them the picture I took, so they knew what they looked like.



My favorite part was at the beginning when I introduced the topic of the day and then asked who gave us our bodies, almost in unison, all the kids said, "Heavenly Father!" It was nice to see their excitement at knowing this.

1 comment:

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Tiana, what artistic shots of the kids making shapes with their bodies! I like the bright colors.