Wednesday, March 12, 2008

First Field Trip



We had our first field trip this Tuesday. Going with our topic of Interest and Curiousity, we went to the library to find books about bees. The trip was a great success. The kids were exceptionally good on the long walk from my apartment to the library.
They held on to the rope and didn't let go until I told them to. Then at the library they were very well behaved and attentive. They listened as I told them how to look up topics on the computer, helped me look for the book, and watched as the librarian tried to help us look. Unfortunately my statement of "if you need help, ask the librarian and she can help you find what you are looking for" turned out to be false, as even she could not find the book that supposedly had 2 copies on the shelf. We still found other books about bees that the kids were fascinated with. It was so cute as they all stamped their books and took turns handing them to the librarian with their library card. I don't know about your kids, but Ches has us reading his bee book to us multipl times a day.

As I said before, this module was Interest and Curiousity. Last Thursday we spent most of the day doing experiments and asking questions. Tuesday we also focused on asking questions, and I really encouraged the kids to ask lots of questions.


Mark came up with some great questions. My favorite was while we were doing our craft. Elise was putting her craft t-shirt dress on and he asks "Why does Elise always wear dresses?" Very observant little kid! It started a lively discussion about what boys and girls wear and ended with Mark saying "I don't wear dresses, I wear boy clothes."

Ethan is so fun to watch during song time. He may not sing the songs, but he does whatever action I do, and remembers it for every time we sing that song. Sarah, if you haven't seen it, play/sing the bee song for him. "Today I heard a buzz" He was also so funny as we were walking to the library. I was asking lots of questions, trying to prompt some from the kids, and everytime I asked a question Ethan would say "I know!" then I would say "What is it?" His reply, "I don't know."

Elise was so well behaved. She was such a good helper, and it seemed to me like she was constantly looking for acts of servic to perform (just like her mommy!) My favorite was when Ches was whining for another muffin, and Elise still had most of hers, she breaks off a piece and offers it to him all on her own. She was also very good at singing the songs.

Last but not least, a big thanks to Jackie for her help with the field trip and taking these pictures. Seriously couldn't have done it without you, especially with Ellie AND Annika.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Thank you the beautiful post and also for your nice observations about our kids! I really enjoyed reading this, even though I was there. Really, you are such a good teacher and the kids were so wonderful - absolutely eating it all up!

Shirley Westenskow said...

It is so awesome you are doing this Tiana. You're a great mom!! Ches and Ellie are SO LUCKY!!

LOve
Mom Shirley